Monday, November 27, 2006

Schmorkel

Well, I’ve told many of you about it. My German family’s traditional Thanksgiving dish. That pile of cabbage in the tan liquid with the occasional brown spot…SCHMORKEL!

Over all the past Thanksgivings I have always been able to escape eating the gruel until this year. We had my Grandfather, Great Aunt and Aunt share Thanksgiving with us. This stuff is my Great Aunt’s specialty. Of all the specialties out there, she had to pick…anyways…

As a kid it was easy to dodge the grotesque looking dish but this time at 33 years old I could not turn it down without exhibiting a lack of etiquette. So I took the plunge, knowing my salvation was secure. I’ve never prayed for dinner with such fervency…

Load the Fork. Lift to Schmorkel hole. Down the hatch.

Wait a second…what’s this? Hey! Not bad my German friends of the Fatherland.

By the way, the brown spots are raisins and the liquid is sugar and vinegar. (We can exchange recipes later).

I thought I’d share the picture of my great German heritage.

Eat Schmorkel! Save the Gallus Domesticus! (chicken)

No comments: