Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Mysterious God

I wrote this song a while back that I was singing while playing my guitar last night. The lyrics talk about how I see God in His creation from the strength of a mountain to the gentle winds that blows through the trees. It is supposed to be my expression of reverential awe for God and his mystifying greatness as seen in His Creation. My only appropriate reaction is to worship Him.

More and more I come to see how the closer I get to God, the more I realize how great He is and how much more I need to learn about Him, His ways and the depth of His love for me. He is so much bigger that our finite minds can understand.

I remember as a youth going to a big youth conference in Syracuse, NY. The guest speaker was a Vietnam Vet named
Dave Roever. He spoke about how Christians like to put God in a box. We often carry the attitude we’ve got Him figured out until something happens outside of our understanding and our doctrinal “apple-cart” gets knocked over leaving us feeling disillusioned or betrayed. I can remember Dave sarcastically saying with a Circus Ringmaster’s voice, “God in a Box, God in a Box, get your very own God in a Box,” as if we could actually sell or buy such a thing.

Today I taught on the mystery of the Trinity. How we’ve come to use words like “trinity” and “triune” to express our limited understanding of one of the facets of who God is. Funny thing, the words are not even in the Bible. However I do use this doctrine as one way of putting into words an attribute of a Mysterious God, Yahweh. Though with each analogy of explaining the concept of the trinity such as; the 3 leaves of a clover making one clover, the three phases of H2O (ice, water and steam) all being H2O, or one a friend shared with me, the Sun being the Father, it’s light being the Son and it’s heat being the Holy Spirit, none of these really do the concept justice. Just slivers of truth perhaps.

God created the entire universe, parted the Red Sea, stopped the sun in the sky for Joshua, healed the sick, opened blind eyes, sent fire from heaven, and in some cases even bent the rules on , raising some back to life. I’ve found it’s not always about being able to explain all the answers for life’s questions but rather accepting the fact the God is bigger than us and He knows what He’s doing.

God loves me.

I have lots of questions. Even though I will continue to ask them and pursue Him, I don’t need all the answers today.

I have faith.

No comments: