Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Alabama Bus Crash

On Monday I was driving out to Kenmore Mercy Hospital to deliver equipment for my job. I turned on the radio to hear reports of a school bus carrying more than 40 high school students in Huntsville, Alabama careening off the highway falling about 30 feet, head first. So far 4 students have died with more still in the hospital.

What a tragedy.

My parents and 4 younger siblings live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It’s a college town where the University of Alabama is the center of attention. My sister is a student there. Roll Tide!

We get there just about every year for Christmas, graduations or weddings. The South is a lot different than the North up here in Yankeeville. They talk different, move slower, have more ice in their drinks, and have learned to breathe in 100 degree, 100% humidity weather without SCUBA technology. They’re happy to show you their Southern Hospitality. They love their college football, Bar-B-Q, fried okra and many believe “the South will rise again.” We Yankees know better though.

When it comes to Christian Spirituality in the South, it’s not a question of “do you go to church?” It’s more like, “where do you go to church?”

So this bus crash got me to thinkin’. Of the 40+ students on the bus, likely many were from Christian families. God's own children. The God of Love. My brothers and sisters in Christ.

Then I thought a little more. Those Christians may have a similar view of God as I do. Views like: God is good. God loves me and my family. God knows even when a sparrow falls from a tree. He promises to protect us as David wrote in Psalm 91.

What must these parents be going through? What does an event like this do to their faith? Do they feel encouraged that God knows best and is still in control? Are they looking for someone to blame? Will they blame God?

What if that was my Daughter who died? How would I react? How would I explain this? I think it would be suffocating.

I used to have all sorts of reasons and Biblical “answers” to explain these situations. None of them really comforting. I’ve come to learn as a married man, you don’t always have to give all the answers. Sometimes just listening and being there ministers so much more than trying to logically explain what happened.

Consider Jesus’ reaction to Lazarus dying, one of His closest friends. I’ve heard some teach that He wept because of everyone’s doubt and lack of faith. I don’t see it that way. He would typically rebuke His followers for having a lack of faith not break down crying.

But His reaction was one of tenderness, true compassion and grief. I believe this was to show us God’s heart for us when we suffer loss. He is not a coldhearted, matter of fact, that’s just the way it is, kind of God. He feels. His heart can be broken.

“Father, forgive them. They don’t know what they’re doing.”

Unable to explain it all, I must resign myself to this attitude: I do not put my faith in God as a bargain to see what I can get but rather as a commitment to follow Him all the days of my life.

I am comforted by the words of David in Psalm 34:19 where he writes, “though we suffer many afflictions, God delivers us from them all.”

The When and How are His to determine.

Mine is to trust.

No comments: